BUILT ON STILTS IS BACK FOR OUR 25TH SEASON!
Built on Stilts (BOS) is a forum for artists to present original work. It is a non-curated event in which amateurs and professionals share the stage. Everyone is welcome to register. The festival invites all kinds of (Covid-safe) dance and performance. No hate speech will be tolerated. Participation is at the discretion of the festival director.
See Covid related restrictions for unvaccinated participants.
Scroll down for the registration form.
CRITERIA FOR PARTICIPATION 2021:
• Be at least 16 years old (See details and alternatives for those 16 and under. below the registration forms)
UNVACCINATED Particiants must:
• Wear face coverings during performances.
• Remain at least 6 feet apart even if wearing masks. Any activity requiring performers to be closer than 6 feet must be as brief as possible. Activities that require prolonged direct contact are discouraged.
• Limit direct interaction between themselves and the audience before, during, or after performances (including backstage and post-performance gatherings.)
• Refrain from singing (Recorded text, song, or vocalization is encouraged as an alternative.)
Masks and social distancing for VACCINATED particiants is optional.
• Be able to be presented with bare bones technical needs. (Lights and sound up/down only)
• Be appropriate for children (NO nudity. NO foul language live or in any recorded music.)
• Be no longer than SEVEN minutes.
OTHER RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:
• Artists will not be registered in the festival until the registration fee and form has been received. Send payment the same day as sending this form. The $30 registration payment is non-refundable and cancellations within 3 weeks of the festival will incur an additional $25 fee that must be paid before future participation is allowed.
- Tech Dates 2021: Each piece will be given one required slot in which to mark the piece in the space and give cues (between 1/2 hour and 1 hour) at some point within the days leading up to the festival or on the day/s of the first show an artist is assigned to (generally on the day of first show for visiting artists.) Dates for potential tech slots are August 10, 12-14, 19, 21-23.
- Dress rehearsals and Performance Dates 2021: Shows are Aug. 12-14, and Aug. 21-23. Each group MUST attend the 4pm dress rehearsals on ALL days of the shows in which their piece is to be included. Participants must arrive ON TIME for the 4pm production meetings and dress rehearsals. Show call for performers is 7pm. Curtain is at 8pm. Each piece will be in at least TWO shows unless ONLY ONE performance is requested. Once all the registrations are in, artists will be provided with a more definite schedule of your time slots, approximately one month in advance. Visiting artists are provided with dates much sooner.
• Choreographers and ALL participating dancers in each piece agree to attend the tech, dress rehearsal times and performance times scheduled for their piece. Unfortunately, we can't adjust to everyone's schedules. Artists should not make special date requests unless absolutely necessary (as in as traveling or housing issues). If there are unavoidable conflicts, please detail them on the registration form. We'll do our best to accommodate participants but can't guarantee it. Examples of other unavoidable conflicts are family emergencies, weddings, memorial services etc…
• There is no special light or sound cueing available for the show, only VERY minimal tech. There is only bump or fade up and bump or fade down for lights and one level of light you may choose for your piece. Music is on and off only, no manual fading. Your music should be engineered with fades or pauses as needed in advance of submitting your music. You agree to have your music made into ONE TRACK and EMAILED upon request.
• Any large prop use must be cleared well in advance and may not be able to be accommodated.
• You agree to submit your program info, a short bio and your music by the date requested in the BOS follow-up information coming in July. Artists will submit it in the format requested therein, not in advance or late, and not bit by bit. All the written info requested should come via email, all together. Proofread in advance before you submit any info.
• Dance schools or groups that require participants to PAY to be in their BOS piece are asked to donate 10% of such income to the festival, in addition to their registration fee.
• No inside saving of seats by participants.
• No use of the venue for rehearsal or visit outside of the exact times & dates noted herein unless you have your own signed contract with The Vineyard Trust, the organization that owns the chapel.
• No food or drink other than water is allowed in the venue.
• No videotaping allowed at the performances. Videotaping is allowed at the dress rehearsals or techs only. Make sure your friends, families and fans know this. They will be asked to leave if they take video at performances. Due to Covid, advance permission will be required for any nonparticipants to enter the venue during rehearsals.
• No tap shoes, skates, or footwear that may damage the floors is allowed. Portable tap floors must be cleared in advance and be able to be laid and removed in less than two-minutes.
• Development of new work is encouraged. Work previously presented at the festival in past years is not allowed.
• Each choreographer or group is allowed to contribute only one piece unless cleared in advance.
• Artists will not report to the press or media regarding their participation in BOS without consulting the festival director, as they may be asked to include specific language.
• Artists agree to confirm receipt of information emailed or mailed to you by BOS when asked to do so.
• Participants agree to show respect for your fellow performers and staff, to be well rehearsed and prepared. The stage is an honor. Please respect it.
• Artists and the participants in their work will not hold BOS, The Martha's Vineyard Preservation Trust, or BOS staff liable for injury, theft or loss incurred on the premises.
• Artists will not register if not almost certain they'll be able to participate. Late cancellations cause programming problems. Fee is non-refundable.
All artist registrants should use the main Choreographers' Registration Form below to submit their work.
B.O.S. registration extended to July 1!
There is a $30 non-refundable registration fee and form required for participation to help cover production and administrative costs. Please download and complete the registration form. Be sure you understand ALL the criteria, rules and guidelines before registering.
* Artists MUST BE at least 16 years old to put work in or perform onstage on their own in the festival. Those under 16 may perform the work of other choreographers IF there are other 16+ performers alongside them on stage. Younger children may also participate through our programs, Stiltshop and Advancedshop. These workshops are designed to foster love of dance and emphasize the importance of working with others of diverse ages and abilities to create something special - This is at the core of Built on Stilts' mission. Compliance with our guidelines and approval of all registrations is at the sole discretion of the festival director.